-
June 13th, 2000, 06:08 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Two questions for you mechanical engineers out there...
1. Is the difference between crank HP and wheel HP a constant number, or is wheel HP a certain percentage of the crank HP. In other words, if the loss is 35 HP on a stock GSR (about 20%), is it 35 HP lost on a GSR making 240 HP at the crank or is it more like 48 HP lost?
2. Why does an LSD cause wheel HP to be even lower, and does anyone know by how much?
-
June 14th, 2000, 05:48 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Sam...
It is about time you posted here again. We miss you man.
1) The typical Honda/Acura drivetrain loss is about 14-16%. It is NOT a constant number. For instance, the GSR makes 170 at the flywheel; and about 146 at the drive wheels. This is a loss of 24 hp, which is about 14%. There is a huge amount of math to calculate HP loss accurately, however, the range above is damn close.
2) I have heard that same rumor, but I know of no reason for this. HP is derived from torque, and I do not believe that an LSD inhibits the torque transmission to the axles in any way. I would like to see a before/after dyno pull on this to prove/disprove the theory.
Don't wait soooo long to post next time. (Your wheels look SOOOOO good !!!)
Jim
------------------
'93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph
-
June 14th, 2000, 06:43 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Nice to see ya mrBurns, it's neen a long time. New job or woman in your life? I know how it is to be taken away by other "pushing" issues. Well take care and maybe check us out more then once every couple months, or at least post a smile
------------------
98 GS-scR w/ 8psi JRSC, Walbro HO fuel pump, AEM cai, Airmass header, Thermal Exhaust, Skunk Works cam gears, J&S safeguard, Ground Controls and KYB AGX's, and of course to slow down, KVR X-drill F&R rotors and Carbon Kevlar pads and V1 to signal the slowing down and soon to go on a Carbon Fiber diet,RC 310 steriods,and new sticky foot wear of the 555R type
-
June 15th, 2000, 01:50 PM
#4
Inactive Member
thanks guys...
yeah, it has been quite some time since i have been around. but hopefully I will be back more often soon enough.
Jim, I should have Betsy back in about a week... as soon as I break in the new motor and get her final tune at EIP, i am planning on a trip to AL. Save me some pizza...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks